Medical, Nursing, and Psychological Tests and Research Instruments: selected resources
Finding tests and research instruments is often a time-consuming task. Be warned that frequently you may find information but ultimately have to purchase the test from the publisher for a fee. Sometimes you need to track down and contact the author of the tool directly and the author may also charge a fee. Some of the resources will identify where you may request an item for purchase. Some will help you identify a tool that might serve your purposes. Sometimes, you might find an article that contains a copy of the test, but be aware that the test publisher usually holds the copyright.
You might be interested in visiting Tests: What You Need to Know and APA's FAQ/Finding Information about Psychological Tests.
Here’s a list to get you started in the right direction.
Resources to Check
- PsycTESTS (UB only)
Database produced by the American Psychological Association contains the full-text of 10,000 tests, surveys, and other measures. Although many of these instruments originally appeared in journal articles, they are considered "unpublished" because they have not been published by commercial test publishers and often carry only minimal copyright restrictions.
- HAPI - Health and Psychosocial Instruments (UB only)
An index to journal articles about specific instruments. This database does not contain copies of tests or other instruments. It contains descriptions of questionnaires, rating scales, index measures, scenarios, vignettes, onservations, checklists, manuals, coding schemes, and projective techniques.
- HSRR (Health Services and Sciences Research Resources)
A searchable database of information about research datasets, instruments/indices and software. Examine and compare characteristics of some of the resources employed in Health Services Research, the Behavioral and Social Sciences and Public Health. Includes brief descriptions of research resources and links to PubMed and URLs of providers for additional information or access to the resources. HSRR is not a repository of the actual resources.
- Mental Measurements Yearbook Online (UB only)
Contains full-text information about and reviews of all English-language standardized tests covering educational skills, personality vocational aptitude, psychology and related areas as included in the printed Mental Measurements Yearbooks from the 9th yearbook forward. Use for finding (1) test reviews, (2) information on an instruments’s validity and reliability, and (3) a description of a test. Available online from 1989-.
- Mental Measurements Yearbook is also available in print at the Health Sciences Library. You can find every volume from 1930 (volume 1) through volume 15 (2003) in the Tests Section of the Reference area, call number Ref Z 5814.P8 M549.
- Test in Print VII. Highland Park, N. J.: Gryphon Press.
HSL Reference Z 5814 .E9 T342 #7 2006 Test Section
Most of the information in this book is available in the Mental Measurements Yearbook Online (see previous entry).
- Tests and Measures Collection
This collection is located in the rear of the Lockwood Library main Reference area. It contains more than 2,000 “unpublished” tests and measures. It is made up of two components:
- A series called Tests in Microfiche
- A set of handbooks which contain full-length reproductions of assessment instruments
- CINAHL via EBSCO (UB only)
Indexes the literature of nursing and the allied health professions. Worth searching because it may lead you to an article where the test or survey instrument is not only mentioned, but also re-printed. Use the Instrumentation search field (under Indexes in EBSCO and More Fields in OVID).
- PsycINFO (UB only)
Useful for finding articles in journals or book chapters on specific tests and other instruments in the psychology and behavioral literature. Search by keyword using two or three words from the name of the test you need and adding the keyword appended. This captures an appended copy of the test if one is available. Most often, however, PsycINFO does not contain copies of tests or other instruments.
- The Test Collection at ETS
Helps you identify tests and measurement devices with information on availabilty and ordering. One of the largest compilations in the world with over 25,000 test and other measurement tools from the early 1900’s to the present.
- MEDLINE (UB only)
Helpful medical subject heading (MeSH) terms for the concept of tests and measurements include: questionnaires, psychological tests, and psychometrics. Consider searching using the important words from the title of a particular instrument.
- Google and Google Scholar
Worth a shot when you know a test title.
- Nursing Reference Center
Has clinical focus. Provides resources for practitioner on patient education. Very specific and can link with CINAHL. Also has a section with tools and tests including Personality Tests, Psychological Tests, Scales, and more.
- Health Literacy Tool Shed
Free, user-friendly, unique, curated online database of more than 100 empirically validated health literacy instruments
- Assessing and Measuring Caring in Nursing and Health Science /Jean Watson. New York : Springer Pub.
HSL Book Collection WY 100.5 W339a 2009 View Catalog Record
- Assessment of Behavioral, Social & Emotional Problems: Direct and Objective Methods for Use with Children and Adolescents /Kenneth W. Merrell. New York: Longman.
HSL Book Collection WS 350.6 M568a 1994 View Catalog Record
- Assessment Scales in Old Age Psychiatry /Alistair Burns, Brian Lawlor, Sarah Craig ; with a contribution by Robert Coen. New York: Martin Dunitz; Independence, KY: Distributed in the USA by Taylor & Francis.
Lockwood Library Reference RC473 .P78 B876 2004 View Catalog Record
- Assessments in Occupational Therapy Mental Health: An Integrative Approach /edited by Barbara J. Hemphill-Pearson. Thorofare, NJ: Slack.
HSL Reference. Tests WM 450.5.O2 A8456 2008 View Catalog Record
- Clinical Assessment of Child and Adolescent Personality and Behavior /Randy W. Kamphaus, Paul J. Frick. Boston : Allyn and Bacon.
HSL Book Collection WM 141 K15c 1996 View Catalog Record
- Clinical Assessment of Children and Adolescents: A Practitioner’s Handbook /edited by Steven R. Smith, Leonard Handler. Mahwah, N.J.: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
HSL Book Collection WM 145 C641 2007 View Catalog Record
- Compendium of Neuropsychological Tests /Esther Strauss. New York: Oxford University Press.
HSL Book Collection WL 141 S768c 2006 View Catalog Record
- Compendium of Quality of Life Instruments /edited by Sam Salek. New York: Wiley.
Contains over 150 questionnaires and translations covering a wide range of disorders. Divided into four parts: (1) non-disease specific quality of life questionnaires, (2) disease/disorder specific questionnaires, (3) caregivers, children, elderly, and women, (4) economic specific quality of life indices.
HSL Reference WA 900.1 C737 1998 Tests Section View Catalog Record
- Directory of Psychological Tests in the Sport and Exercise Sciences /Andrew C. Ostrow, editor. Morgantown, WV: Fitness Information Technology.
HSL Book Collection BF 176 D598 1996 Tests Section View Catalog Record
- Directory of Unpublished Experimental Mental Measures. New York, Human Sciences Press [etc.].
Volumes 1 (1974) through 4 (1985) are in the HSL book collection
Lists references to journal articles that describe specific tests. Includes reliability and validity data.
HSL Reference Z 5814.P8 D598 Tests Section (v.4/v.5 (1996)- v.6 (1995)View Catalog Record
- Evaluation Instruments in Nursing /Dolores Bower, Linda Linc, Doreen Denega; contributing authors, Annette Sues Mitzel, Elaine Nichols. New York: National League for Nursing.
HSL Book Collection WY 18 B736e 1988 View Catalog Record
- Handbook of Family Measurement Techniques /edited by John Touliatos, Barry F. Perlmutter, Murray A. Straus. Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications.
HSL Book Collection HQ 728 T68 2001 View Catalog Record
- Handbook of Multicultural Assessment: Clinical, Psychological, and Educational Applications /Lisa A. Suzuki, Joseph G. Ponterotto, Paul J. Meller, editors. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
HSL Book Collection BF 176 H236 2001 View Catalog Record
- Handbook of Neurologic Rating Scales /edited by Robert M. Herndon. New York: Demos Medical Pub.
HSL Reference WL 141 H23648 2006 Test Section View Catalog Record
- Handbook of Tests and Measurements for Black Populations /Reginald L. Jones, editor. Hampton, VA: Cobb & Henry Publishers.
HSL Reference BF 176 H237 1996 Test Section View Catalog Record
- Instruments for Clinical Health-Care Research /editors, Marilyn Frank-Stromborg, Sharon J. Olsen. Sudbury, Mass.: Jones and Bartlett Publishers.
Includes a review of available clinical research instruments to measure select clinical phenomenon, the description of psychometric properties of each tool, review of selected studies employing the tool, identification of instrument strengths and weaknesses, and discussion of the relevance of each instrument for nursing.
HSL Reference WY 20.5 I59 2004 Test Section View Catalog Record
- Instruments for Measuring Nursing Practice and Other Health Care Variables /editors, Mary Jane Ward, Carol Ann Lindeman. Hyattsville, Md.: U. S. Dept. of Health, Education, and Welfare, Public Health Service, Health Resources Administration, Bureau of Health Manpower, Division of Nursing. Washington: U.S. Government Printing Office.
HSL Reference WY22.1 W877I 1979 Test Section View Catalog Record
- Instruments for Use in Nursing Education Research /Gloria M. Clayton, Marion Broome. New York: National League for Nursing.
HSL Book Collection WY 18 C622i 1989 View Catalog Record
- Kirby’s Guide to Fitness and Motor Performance Tests /compiled and edited by Ronald F. Kirky. Cape Girardeau, Mo.: BenOak Pub. Co.
HSL Reference WE 103 K58g 1991 Test Section View Catalog Record
- Measurement in Elderly Chronic Care Populations /Jeanne Teresi [et al.], editors. New York: Springer Pub. Co.
HSL Reference WT 30 M484 1997 Tests Section View Catalog Record
- Measurement Instruments in Clinical Ethics /Barbara Klug Redman. Thousand Oaks, Calif.: Sage Publication.
HSL Reference WM50 R318m 2002 Tests Section View Catalog Record
- Measurement of Nursing Outcomes /editors, Carolyn Feher Waltz, Louise Sherman Jenkins. New York: Springer Pub. Co.
HSL Reference WY 16 M484 2001-2003 Test Section View Catalog Record
- Measurements for Long-term Care: A Guidebook for Nurses /Sarah R. Beaton & Susan A. Voge. Thousand Oaks, Calif.: Sage Publications.
HSL Reference WY 152 B369m 1998 Test Section View Catalog Record
- Measures for Clinical Practice and Research: A Sourcebook /Joel Fischer, Kevin Corcoran. New York: Oxford University Press.
HSL Reference WM 145 F529m 2007 Test Section View Catalog Record
- Measuring and Managing Health Care Quality: Procedures, Techniques, and Protocols/ Norbert Goldfield, Michael Pine, Joan Pine. Gaithersburg, Md.: Aspen Publishers.
HSL Reference WX 153 G6185m Test Section View Catalog Record
- Measuring Health: A Guide to Rating Scales and Questionnaires/ Ian McDowell. New York: Oxford University Press.
Reference on current health measurement methods, covering social health, psychological well-being, depression, mental status, pain, and quality of life.
HSL Reference WA 900.1 M478m 2006 Test Section View Catalog Record
- Nurses and Work Satisfaction: An Index for Measurement /Paula L. Stamps. Chicago, Ill.: Health Administration Press.
HSL Reference WY 87 S783n 1997 Test Section View Catalog Record
- 100 Statistical Tests /Gopal K. Kanji. Newbury Park, Calif.: Sage Publications.
HSL Book Collection QA 277 K16o 1993 View Catalog Record
Online access through internet
- Practitioner’s Guide to Evaluating Change with Neuropsychological Assessment Instruments /edited by Robert J. McCaffrey, Kevin Duff, and Holly James Westervelt. New York: Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers.
HSL Book Collection WL 141 P8955 2000 View Catalog Record
- Primary Care Tools for Clinicians: A Compendium of Forms, Questionnaires, and Rating Scales for Everyday Practice /Lorraine Loretz. St. Louis, MO: Elsevier Mosby.
HSL Reference WB 290 L869p 2005 Test Section View Catalog Record
- Quality of Life /edited by Alison J. Carr, Irene J. Higginson, Peter G. Robinson. London: BMJ Books.
HSL Book Collection WA 900.1 Q11 2003 View Catalog Record
- Simple Screening Instruments for Outreach for Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse and Infectious Diseases /Ken C. Winters, Jonathan M. Zenilman. Rockville, MD: U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Center for Substance Abuse Treatment.
HSL Book Collection WM 270 W788s 1994 View Catalog Record
- Source Book of Geriatric Assessment /Liliane Isra?l, Djordje Kozarevi?, Norman Sartorius. New York: Karger.
HSL Reference WT 150 I85s 1984 Test Section View Catalog Record
- Tests and Measurements in Child Development: Handbook II /Orval G. Johnson. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass Publishers.
HSL Reference BF 698 J68t 1976 Test Section View Catalog Record