City Directories of the U.S. (Microform Collection)
City directories are useful for genealogical, demographic, social, economic and geographic research. The University Libraries own microform of many US city directories from the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries under varying titles.
City Directories of the United States through 1860 (segment I) MicFiche: E 154.5 D4
- This collection includes all US directories, including Buffalo, up to 1860. It is based on the list Bibliography of American Directories Through 1860 whichis available at call number E154.5 .S67; check library catalog for location. This bibliography is also reproduced on the introductory fiche of the set .
United States City Directories, 1861-1881 (segment II)
The following cities are owned:
- Albany N.Y. MicFilm: E154.5 A5
- Brooklyn , N.Y. MicFilm: E154.5 B7
- Buffalo N.Y. , (1861-1935) MicFilm: E154.5 D412
- New York N.Y. MicFilm: E154.5 N49
- Philadelphia P.A. MicFilm: E154.5 P5
- Pittsburgh P.A. MicFilm: E154.5 P58
- Rochester N.Y. MicFilm: E154.5 R6
- Syracuse N.Y. MicFilm: E154.5 S9
- Troy N.Y. MicFilm: E154.5 T7
To see the cities covered in these collections, do a title search in Libraries' Catalog for City Directories of the United States. To determine which city directories have been published, whether or not they are owned by the UB Libraries, consult the following title.
City Directories of the United States City Directories, 1860-1901: a guide to the microform collection . E154.5 .C42 1983 Check the library catalog for location. This guide is for segments I, II & III. We do not own segment III.
For more information about City Directories, see The Help A-Z InfoPage City Directories.