- Copyright Code
- United States Copyright Office
- Association Positions
- Author Rights
- Visual or Interactive or Podcast or...
- Reports, Guides, Publications, Blogs
- Library Preservation & Section 108
- U.S. Code Title 17 - Copyrights
- Copyright Law of the United States and Related Laws Contained in Tıtle 17 of the United States Code
United States Copyright Office
- United States Copyright Office
- Copyright Basics
- Legislative developments regarding copyright
- How to Investigate the Copyright Status of a Work
- How to Use the Copyright Office Catalog
- Reproductions of Copyrighted Works by Educators and Librarians
- U.S. Copyright Office - Newsnet
- Copyright (American Library Association)
- Medical Library Association Copyright Management Guidelines
- Introduction to Copyright Resources - SPARC (Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition)
- ARL's Author Rights Resources (check Author Rights to search)
- SPARC Resources for Authors
- SPARC Author Addendum PDF (To secure your rights as authors of journal articles)
- Author Rights Webcast
Sponsored by ACRL and ARL, through the Institute on Scholarly Communication, along with SPARC. Recorded June 18, 2007. Designed to help librarians better engage disciplinary faculty and researchers on the topic of author rights.
Requires a free LearningTimes account to access recording.
- Blackwell Publishing Author Services: Copyright FAQs
- Copyright Crash Course University of Texas, Georgia Harper
- Copyright Tutorial
- Bloggers Beware: Debunking Nine Copyright Myths of the Online World
- Campus Guide to Copyright Compliance
- Using Content: Course Management Systems
- CONTU Guidelines (National Commission on New Technological Uses of Copyright Works)
- Copyright Advisory Network (ALA)
- Copyright Basics: The TEACH Act
(Technology, Education, and Copyright Harmonization (TEACH) Act)
- Copyright and Fair Use: What Clinicians and Educators Need to Know (Dartmouth Biomedical Libraries)
- Copyright and Fair Use and Copyright (University at Buffalo Libraries)
- Copyright in Teaching (Scholarly Communications @ Duke)
- Copyright Information and Resources (Library and Technology Services, Brandeis University)
- The Copyright Law and the Health Sciences Librarian (Restricted access to members of the Medical Library Association)
- Copyright Renewal Database
Use to discover information on orphan worksCopyright and You (Copyright Alliance)
- Cornell University's Copyright Information Center
- Cost of Copyright Confusion for Media Literacy 2007 (Center for Social Media at American University School of Communication)
- Fair Use Checklist (developed by Dr. Kenneth Crews, director of The Copyright Advisory Office, Columbia University)
- LibraryLaw - Libraries and Copyright
Includes links to specific copyright laws, court cases, legal memos for libraries, and guidelines.
- Locating Copyright Holders
- Society for Cinema and Media Studies? Best Practices for Fair Use in Teaching
- Stanford Libraries - Copyright and Fair Use Resources
- Using Course Management Systems: Guidelines for Best Practices for Copyright Compliance
- When It's OK to Copy (Inside Higher Ed. Nov 16, 2007)
- 7 Things You Should Know About Creative Commons
Visual or Interactive or Podcast or...
- Copyright Basics
A six minute video produced by the Copyright Clearance Center that provides a basic overview of copyright and fair use laws, trademarks, and the public domain.
- A (Fair(y) Use Tale
10 minute mashup on YouTube that looks at copyright and fair use using Disney characters.
- Audio: Tech Therapy, Episode 12 - Chronicle.com
William Shell, Director of Academic Technology & Computing Services, Eastern Michigan University
- Bound by Law Copyright Comic Book
Center for Study of the Public Domain
- Interactive Guide to Using Copyrighted Media in Your Courses
A free interactive guide put out by Baruch College/CUNY to help faculty determine the appropriate copyright guidelines to follow when using different types of copyright protected media in educational courses.
- Copyright Watch
Collects and monitors copyright laws from all over the world.
- LACA: Libraries and Archives Copyright Alliance
Sponsored by the CILIP: Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals (UK).
Reports, Guides, Publications, Blogs
- AAAS - Science & Intellectual Property in the Public Interest
- Intellectual Property Experiences in the United States Scientific Community (AAAS 2007)
- Digital Preservation Coalition - What's New
- Regarding Federal Copyright Protection of Sound Recordings Fixed Before February 15, 1972 - Comments by the ALA and ARL, April 13, 2011
- The SAA Orphan Works Blog
Updates and commentary by the Stock Artists Alliance regarding proposed changes to laws about orphan works.
- Scrivener's Error
Blog that covers law in publishing. Occasionally focuses on other intellectual property issues, news, censorship, and legal theory.
Library Preservation & Section 108
- Library Preservation: Changes Incorporated in H.R. 2281: The Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 (PL 105-304)
- Section 108 Study Group
Independent, select committee of copyright experts. Charged with updating for the digital world the Copyright Act’s balance between the rights of creators and copyright owners and the needs of libraries and archives.
- Section 108 Spinner