Pain Management Resources for Cancer patients and Their Care Givers
- General Health Information Internet Resources
- General Pain Management Internet Resources
- Local Resources
- Pharmaceutical Treatments
- Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM)
General Health Information Internet Resources
- NIH Senior Health - Health information from the National Institutes of Health specifically geared towards senior citizens.
- MedlinePlus - Consumer health information from the National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health.
- National Cancer Institute - Comprehensive Cancer Information from the U.S. National Institutes of Health.
General Pain Management Internet Resources
- Pain Control: Support for People with Cancer - from the National Institutes of Health.
- Pain Management From Breast Cancer.org
Information regarding pain management during treatment.
- BreastCancer.org - An article regarding managing pain from breastcancer.org, a non-profit organization concerned with providing quality information to breast cancer patients and their families. The article contains useful links to medication side-effects, how to keep a pain journal to discuss with the patient’s doctor, side effects of medications, alternative treatments for pain, and psychological effects of pain.
- American College of Physicians, Colorectal Cancer - An article that describes how adjuvant radiation therapy can help with pain associated with metastasis of colorectal cancer to other areas of the body.
- The Sol Goldman Pancreatic Cancer Research Center - How is pain managed? Pain in Pancreatic Cancer Can Be Controlled - A patient education resource from Johns Hopkins University regarding pain management options for those afflicted with pancreatic cancer.
- The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center - Pain Management Basics - A resource from the University of Texas with links to medication to manage cancer pain and non-drug treatments.
- Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center- Helpful links from the “first cancer center in the United States to have an interdisciplinary service devoted specifically to treating pain in cancer patients.” (from the Sloan-Kettering Website)
- The Breast Cancer Network of Western New York - “Education, advocacy, support and networking in the community for people involved with breast cancer.”
- Roswell Park Cancer Institute Supportice Services - Information on support services available at RCPI.
- Support Groups from the Lung Cancer Alliance - An informative list of support groups for lung cancer patients and their caregivers.
- Care pages - Free Webpages that allow family and friends to stay connected during illness or injury.
- American College of Physicians, Chronic Pain Management: An Appropriate Use of Opioid Analgesics - A downloadable pamphlet in pdf format focusing on the administration and use of opiods for the treatment of pain associated with cancer.
Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM)
- National Center For Complementary And Alternative Health - This site from the National Institutes of Health provides a general overview of this topic. It also discusses the uses and of this type of therapy in relation to cancer and includes a list of questions for patients when discussing these treatments with their health care provider.
- Complementary And Alternative Medicine In Cancer Treatment - A fact sheet from the National Cancer Institute in question and answer format that addresses some of the most common questions regarding CAM treatments, how to choose a CAM practitioner and what you need to know about the safety of some treatments.
- This section covers such therapies as meditation, biofeedback, imagery, yoga, and hypnosis.
- Yoga For Cancer Patients and Survivors - An Article from Cancer Control Journal: Journal of the Moffitt Cancer Center - available free online.
- Bower, J. E., A. Woolery, B. Ste rnlieb, and D. Garet Yoga for cancer patients and
- survivors. Cancer Control, Jul 2005, 12(3):165-171. Author email: email@example.com.
- Meditation a Hit for Pain Management - A link to an NPR article by Allison Aubrey discussing meditation for pain relief.
- American Cancer Society: Meditation - An article from the American Cancer Society regarding the explanation and use of meditation to alleviate cancer pain.
- American Cancer Society: Hypnosis - An article from the American Cancer Society explaining hypnosis and how it can be effective for relief of cancer pain.
- American Cancer Society: Imagery - An article from the American Cancer Society defining imagery and how it can be an effective treatment for some patients suffering from cancer pain.
- Complementary and alternative medicine for cancer pain: an overview of systematic reviews. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2014;2014:170396. doi: 10.1155/2014/170396. Epub 2014 Apr 13. - PubMed Central Article
- Clinical practice guidelines for the care and treatment of breast cancer: 10. The management of chronic pain in patients with breast cancer (2001 update) Canadian Medical Association Journal (CMAJ)
- B&ECPL - catalog
- Nioga - catalog