Key Library Links:
- Catalog – to locate any item that is available in our libraries, including books, journals, newspapers, and audio/visual materials.
- Call Number Arrangement – information on how to read call numbers
NA classification – a guide to Architecture -NA classification
- Articles + – a tool for searching across the library’s electronic resources in one simple interface. Articles+ provides citations and abstracts, as well as linking opportunities to full-text articles in the library’s catalog.
- Research Tips – an online guide designed to help you perform research in the University at Buffalo’s University Libraries, includes citation help.
- Endnote – citation management software, a tool for organizing citations from articles, books, web sites and other information resources. South Campus classes on Endote (registration requided) – No Experience Endnote
Best Starting Points:
- GroverArt Online – covers all aspects of art worldwide, including architecture and planning, painting, sculpture, graphic and decorative arts, and photography. Provides background information on artists, architects, cities, buildings, periods, styles, and more. Contains bibliographies and links to pertinent definitions and images.
- Gale Virtual Reference Library – includes subject encyclopedias, almanacs, and specialized reference works in broad subject areas, including issues related to architecture.
- Factiva - wide range of news, and business resources, a good place to find current events on your topic.
Key Architecture Database:
- Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals – comprehensive index to national and international architectural journals, both professional and popular. Covers architecture, urban planning and design, historic preservation, art, and related topics. Lists reviews for books, exhibitions, audiovisuals, websites, and citations for obituaries. Comprehensive coverage 1930 to the present; selective coverage from 1860 – 1830. Updated weekly.
Useful Reference Books:
- Architect’s Portable Handbook: First Step Rules of Thumb for Building Design.
(APL Ref NA2750 .G87 2003)
This book offers on-the-job guidance on cost estimating to electrical systems. Features checklists, design data for major building materials, and details for major components and assemblies for any type of facility, as well as costs for building materials, systems, and construction.
- Architectural Graphic Standards: Student Edition. (APL Ref TH2031 .A84257 2008)
Offers illustrations and an index to hundreds of architectural elements and it covers building standards and practices, materials and systems, details for every type of project. The book also follows CSI’s Uniformat, a classification system that closely matches an architect’s workflow.
- Dictionary of Architecture & Construction. 4th ed. (APL Ref NA31 .H32 2006)
Includes everyday, historic and technical definitions in common practice architecture, including drawings and specifications.
- Encyclopedia of Community: from the Village to the Virtual World. Vol. 1-4. (APL Ref HM756 .E53 2003)
Arranged from A-Z, an interdisciplinary format of “compare and contrast” among topics such as types of communities, social capital, technology, urban life, politics and law, community design, and global studies.
Time-saver Standards for Architectural Design: Technical Data for Professional Practice. (APL Ref TH151 .T55 2005)
- Fundamentals of architecture and design practices:
- Part A. Substructure: Foundations and Basement Construction.
- Part B. Shell: Superstructure, Exterior Closure, Roofing.
- Part C. Interiors: Interior Constructions, Staircases, Interior Finishes, Materials and Specifications, Dimensioning.
- Part D. Services: Conveying Systems, Plumbing, HVAC, Fire Protection, Electrical
- Part E. Appendices: Classic Tables and Data, including metric system conversion and references.
- Time-Saver for Building Types. (APL Ref NA2760 .D42 2001)
Basic programming information for a variety of types of buildings, including libraries, schools and auditoriums.
- El Croquis: a Spanish architectural magazine that is kept behind the APL/HSL Circulation desk. To look up an architect use this index then go to the Circulation Desk for issue of the journal.
UB Campus plans:
- University Facilities: Document Library
The Document Library houses North, South, Downtown and Off-site property information which includes architectural prints, specifications and related documentation for the University at Buffalo’s projects. The Document Library provides support to Facilities Planning and Design staff, Facilities Operations staff; approved vendors, contractors, and students. We are a division of University Facilities located within the John Beane Center, Buffalo, NY 14260-7300, P: (716) 645-5286. Student request for floor plans (form to fill out)
- ARTstor Digital Archive Collection
The ARTstor Digital Archive Collection contains nearly one million images and associated catalog data from notable art and architecture collections worldwide. The collection spans many times and cultures and encompasses architecture, painting, sculpture, photography, decorative arts, and design, as well as many other forms of visual culture.
- Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals
Use “limit your results’ to diagrams, portraits, plans, maps, etc…
- Digital Sanborn Maps- New York
The UB Libraries has a subscription to the digital edition (available to the UB community), providing electronic access to Sanborn fire insurance maps of cities and towns in New York State (1867-1970). More on Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps…
- Google Images
Encompassing an image database of over 425 million images. Use advanced feature for a more refined search.
UB School of Architecture & Planning Blog Archinet
- ArchiBlog - A blog aggregator that collects articles from architecture blogs and includes them in its daily digest.
- ArchInform - 20th century, international architecture about worldwide architects and buildings from past to present. Most entries include name, address, keywords, images and information about further literature.
- Planetizen - A one-stop source for urban planning news, commentary, interviews, event coverage, book reviews, announcements, jobs, consultant listings, training, and more.
- Regional Knowledge Network - The Regional Knowledge Network is a central resource for reliable information on the bi-national Buffalo Niagara region. RKN offers data, maps and resources on nine topic areas covering Western New York, Southern Ontario and the 264 municipalities within the region. RKN also features interactive tools to customize information requests and search, sort and analyze data.
- Rudy Bruner Digital Archive - A resource for architecture students and practitioners to study precedents in urban design. The Archive is an image database of urban design case studies projects from 1987 to the present that have been recognized as exemplars of excellence in urban design achieved through community collaboration. Each entry includes full project documentation, including an abstract, project data, bibliography, color images, and more.
- 2Modern blog - 20+ different contributors blog about current architecture trends and ideas from around the world.