© 2010. State University of New York at Buffalo. All rights reserved.
[Description and dates], Box/folder number, MS 184, Woman's Investigating Club, Buffalo, N.Y., 1893-1910, University Archives, State University of New York at Buffalo.
See the Special Collections' preferred citations instructions for additional information.Acquisition Information
Collection was donated by Diane Schultz Silvestro in November 2010.Custodial History
Ms. Silvestro purchased the collection at a garage sale circa 1990s.Terms of Access
The Woman's Investigating Club, Buffalo, N.Y., 1893-1910 are open for research.Copyright
Copyright of papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and the University Archives before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.Processing Information
Processed by Karen Spencer.Accruals and Additions
No further accruals are expected to this collection.
The Woman's Investigating Club grew out of a group of women from West Side Presbyterian Church in Buffalo, New York, who met at the suggestion of Mrs. Julia B. Newman Danforth to talk about forming a club. "The idea then was a sort of mother's club, to teach household economy, the care of children and the like. Such a club was formed, and Mrs. Herbert Lord was chosen President." The first meeting was held in March 1888. The first year they "cooked, talked about household cares, read recipes, and sometimes made a higher literary effort in an essay on a question of the day, or on the life of a great man or woman."
The year 1889 saw a more literary effort and "thirst for knowledge." The club met October through May, setting the annual calendar of thematic reading and lectures in advance. A "Fifteen Minute Club" was organized for the Summer months for members to record their daily readings for the next year's topic. The annual banquet and election was held in March.
The meeting format was augmented in the 1892-93 season with the addition of a fifteen minute talk before the paper of the day on any suggested topic. That same year the club became a member of the General Federation of Women's Clubs. In 1893-94 the club moved from the home of President Mrs. Florence Hopkins Lyon to the Women's Educational and Industrial Union Building and meetings increased from semi-monthly to weekly.
The club joined the Western New York Federation in 1896, the New York State Federation of Women's Clubs in 1912, and in 1905 helped found the Buffalo Federation of Women's Clubs. In 1915 the Club sponsored a scholarship at the University of Buffalo.
Sources used: "Club History" by Lucy Elizabeth Denton contained in the 1893 Club calendar (see Box/Folder 1.2) and the 1936 history in the Club History Collection at the Women's History and Resource Center, Washington, D.C. (CH NY 034) (See Box/Folder 1.7).
Mary E. Pursel Greene was the wife of prominent Buffalo, New York, physician, Walter D. Greene (1853-1917). Dr. Greene was an 1876 graduate of the University at Buffalo Medical School. The Greenes lived at 385 Jersey Street, Buffalo, New York. Mrs. Greene died on June 10, 1938.
Collection of the club's constitution and bylaws, annual calendars, reading lists, histories, miscellaneous items, and background material collected by the processor. Also includes a wedding reception invitation received by Dr. and Mrs. Greene in 1898.
This collection is arranged chronologically.
|1.1||Constitution and bylaws, 1898, undated|
See also 1893 Calendar in Box/Folder 1.2
|1.2||Annual Calendars, 1893-1910|
The 1893 calendar also includes the previous five years' officers, the constitution, and a Club history.
|1.3||Reading lists, 1895, 1898, undated|
|1.4||Annual banquet programs, 1895-1910|
1898 program includes a silver spoon marked "88-98."
|1.5||Miscellaneous items, 1894-1901|
Includes the club hymn, "15 Minute Club" record pamphlet with pencil, dues receipt, officers' list, a program for "A Greek Festival."
|1.6||Wedding reception invitation, 1898|
Unrelated to the club but received by Dr. & Mrs. Greene.
|1.7||Background Material added by processor, 1898-2010|
The following terms have been used to index the description of this collection in the Library's online catalog.