ublogo print

University at Buffalo Libraries

Archival & Manuscript Collections

Return to Search Results | Citation | Print View

Finding Aid for the Annette Blanchard Papers, 1951-1978

MS 200.11

State University of New York at Buffalo. University Archives


420 Capen Hall
Buffalo, NY 14260
United States
Phone: 716-645-2916
Fax: 716-645-3714
Email: lib-archives@buffalo.edu
URI: http://library.buffalo.edu/archives/

Finding aid prepared by Chana Revell Kotzin, June 2013.
Finding aid encoded in EAD by Karen Spencer, June 2013.
Finding aid written in English.
Finding aid prepared using local best practices.

The arrangement and description of the Annette Blanchard Papers was made possible by funding obtained through the Foundation for Jewish Philanthropies and the Bureau of Jewish Education.

Please use the following URL when citing this document:
http://purl.org/net/findingaids/view?docId=ead/archives/ubar_ms0200_11.xml

© 2013. State University of New York at Buffalo. All rights reserved.


Collection Overview

Title: Annette Blanchard Papers, 1951-1978
Creator: Blanchard, Annette
Extent: 2 linear feet (1 manuscript box, 1 flat oversized box, 1 triangular tube)
Language of Material: Collection material in English.
Repository: State University of New York at Buffalo. University Archives
Abstract: Personal Papers documenting volunteer activities of Annette Blanchard and some family materials. Includes photographs, speeches, newspaper clippings, media, and other material relating to volunteer service and career in B’nai B’rith, as well as a small amount of materials relating to her husband William Blanchard’s Jewish scouting activities.

Administrative Information

Preferred Citation

[Description and dates], Box/folder number, MS 200.11, Annette Blanchard Papers, 1951-1978, University Archives, State University of New York at Buffalo.

See the Special Collections' preferred citations instructions for additional information.

Acquisition Information

Annette Blanchard donated materials in January 2008. The papers were initially surveyed under a grant from the DHP Documentary Heritage Program in 2008-2009. The collection was arranged in December 2012 and it was deposited at the University Archives, Special Collections by the Jewish Buffalo Archives Project in June 2013. The Jewish Buffalo Archives Project was founded in late 2007 under the auspices of the Bureau of Jewish Education of Greater Buffalo with a seed grant from the Foundation for Jewish Philanthropies. The Archives Project collects mainly twentieth century documentation relating to the diverse histories, religious traditions and cultures of Jewish communities within the Greater Buffalo area of Western New York, encompassing the geographic areas of Erie and Niagara Counties and partners with the University Archives at the University at Buffalo to make these records accessible.

Terms of Access

The Annette Blanchard Papers, 1951-1978 are open for research.

Copyright

Copyright of papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and the University Archives before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.

Processing Information

Processed by Chana Revell Kotzin, May 2013.

Accruals and Additions

No further accruals are expected to this collection.


Biographical Note

Annette Blanchard was born Annette Shapiro at Millard Fillmore Hospital (Gates Circle) in 1936 to parents Helen and William Shapiro. She grew up in Kenmore Village and later Tonawanda. While most of her schooling was in the suburbs, she transferred to North Buffalo’s Bennett High School for her last two years of high school, which at that time had a considerable Jewish population – a contrast to the suburbs at the time. After graduating from Bennett High School in Buffalo, NY., Annette studied at the Rochester Institute of Technology, majoring in retailing. On graduation, she worked in her parents retail business, “Shaws”, a name composed of the first letters of each family member (sister Sheila, mother Helen, Annette and father William). A devastating fire almost 15 years later destroyed the family business, although there were attempts to revive it. Eventually, however, Annette went back to college, and retrained in psychology and later gained an MA in Rehabilitation Counseling. She worked in the field of alcoholic addictions and was employed in the ECMC (Erie County Medical Center) outpatient’s Division of Chemical Dependency, retiring after 14 years. As of 2012, she teaches at Erie Community College about Substance Abuse.

This collection is mainly a record of Annette Shapiro’s roles and membership activities within B’nai B’rith Women’s group in various chapters that she became involved in after college and marriage. President and Co-President of women’s chapters on three separate occasions, (Balfour, Montefiore and a merged Balfour), she also held other offices and was very involved in the dramatic and cultural life of the chapters, producing plays and skits. Her husband William worked as an attorney but was an active Boy Scout and Cub Master at Temple Beth El, although they affiliated as a family, with Temple Beth Zion.


Historical Note

Although the first permanent chapter of the organization that would eventually spread across the United States and become known as B’nai B’rith Women (BBW) was founded in San Francisco, in 1909, began with the genteel goals of entertainment and sociability, as a movement, BBW would redefine its mission over the intervening decades to a more activist agenda. In addition the uneven and sometimes fractious relationship with B’nai B’rith, American Jewry’s oldest and largest fraternal and service organization, no doubt played a part in decisions to establish a separate organization, and then to rename the organization. At first BBW made many attempts for official recognition, but were rebuffed by the men’s Grand Lodge. For decades, BBW maintained an “auxiliary” function – entertainment, dances, parties and other social events for single adult members. This was very much in line with sisterhoods and other contemporary voluntary social and charitable associations. Social and cultural activities, however, were part of other philanthropic undertakings - for the elderly, for hospital patients, servicemen and others.

In Buffalo, B’nai B’rith as a men’s organization began with the establishment of Montefiore Lodge in 1866. The first women’s auxiliary organization officially affiliated with Montefiore Lodge in 1922, but other women’s clubs and lodges developed between 1869 and1876, including Sisters of Rebecca Lodge, No. 12, which met once a month in Montefiore Hall, as well as the sickness and benefit lodge, the True Sisters Society (see: Selig Adler and Thomas E. Connelly. From Ararat to Suburbia: The History of the Jewish Community of Buffalo. Philadelphia: Jewish Publication Society of America, 1960, p. 120).


Scope and Content Note

The papers of Annette Blanchard are arranged into three series. The first series contains materials relating to Temple Sinai. Helene and William Shapiro, parents of Annette Blanchard, were part of a group of six couples that split from Temple Emanu-el to begin Temple Sinai in the early 1950s. Photographs include a view of Temple Sinai’s first day’s at their rented premises on Lyndhurst Avenue in a converted Church. Another photograph features Helene and William Shapiro as a focus of a portrait, breaking ground at the site of Temple Sinai’s eventual home, on Alberta Drive in Amherst. As such, Temple Sinai was the first entirely suburban congregation without ties to former congregations in the city of Buffalo. It was also Buffalo’s first and only Reconstructionist temple. In 2012, Temple Sinai merged with a Reform temple (which was also a solely suburban entity) Temple Beth Am, to form Congregation Shir Shalom, a joint Reconstructionist-Reform temple located in Williamsville, NY. Another photograph, featuring the Shapiros’, also features most of the leading founders and early presidents. A membership list from the late 1960s is a useful snapshot of Buffalo Jewish involvement with the Temple during its heyday.

The second series features B’nai B’rith Women (BBW) materials from several chapters in Buffalo that Annette Blanchard was associated with over the years. A one stage there were six women’s chapters (Aurora, #741; Balfour, #749; Boruch, #1040; Montefiore, #34; New Covenant, #602 and Tamar [Afternoon] Chapter [no number]). Overtime from the mid 1960s each chapter merged with another. At the end of the 1960s, Balfour merged with Montefiore, and this was one of the last remaining large chapter through the 1970s. In the mid 1990s, national B’nai B’rith Women (BBW) became Jewish Women International. Although a listing for a local representative existed until 2009, very little active local activity remains.

Much of the materials across the three chapters included within this collection are scripts, either wholly created by or reworded by Annette Blanchard from existing scripts. Some of these scripts became skits used at opening and closing chapter events, or at significant fundraisers, anniversaries, or recognition events. Some of the materials, such as that found within BBW Balfour administrative materials (1.8), includes cards that demonstrate the social welfare impact of the local chapter for both local Jewish and non-Jewish organizations. Member lists also illustrate the involvement of BBW across the city and suburb, as well as the broader Jewish community impact of BBW fundraising efforts (for example: Bureau of Jewish Education, B’nai B’rith Youth Organizations, Hillel, Jewish Family Service). Many of the chapters also has a range of committees/ responsibilities that included Service Committee for Armed Forces and Veterans as well as Vocational Services and Hospitality.

The last series consists of Annette’s husband’s William Blanchard’s scouting and cub materials. Although Annette and William Blanchard were members of Temple Beth Zion, they lived close to Temple Beth El in Tonawanda, and William Blanchard became scout and cub pack leader for Troop 196.



Container List

Box-folder Contents
1.1 Temple Sinai Photographs, circa 1952 1957 1968
1.2 Temple Sinai Membership list, 1968
Box-folder Contents
1.3 B’nai B’rith Women (BBW) Boruch Chapter #1040, 1959
2.1 Charter grant for creation of Balfour Chapter #749, April 29, 1951
1.4 B’nai B’rith Women Balfour Chapter #749, Rhoda Meinkes Installation script, 1951

[Original folder retained]

1.5 B’nai B’rith Women (BBW) Balfour Chapter #749, Adapted scripts for events, 1961 1965 1969
1.6-1.7 B’nai B’rith Women (BBW) Balfour Chapter #749, Adapted scripts for events, undated
1.8 B’nai B’rith Women (BBW) Balfour Chapter #749, administrative materials, 1963-1964

[Includes envelope with clippings, and envelope with cards]

1.9 B’nai B’rith Women (BBW) Balfour Chapter #749, member lists, 1968-1969
1.10 B’nai B’rith Women (BBW) Balfour Chapter #749, NYS Conference materials, 1967-1968 1972
1.11 Buffalo B’nai B’rith (Women and Men) Coordinated Events, 1962 1968

[Includes envelope with clippings]

1.12 B’nai B’rith Women (BBW) Montefiore Chapter #34, Administrative materials, 1973-1974

[Includes envelope with clippings.]

3.1 Banner, in viscose cream material, 6ft by 4ft, with blue material text, “B’nai B’rith Women Balfour Chapter.” Gold colored edging fringe, some staining, undated
Viscose cream material, 6 feet by 4 feet, with blue material text, “B’nai B’rith Women Balfour Chapter,” gold colored edging fringe, some staining.
Box-folder Contents
1.13 Scouting photographs [Includes Camp Jecosi, Lake Seltzer], 1971 1973 undated
1.14 Scouting Charters for Temple Beth El, Troop# 196 and Pack#196, 1965-1978

Search Terms

The following terms have been used to index the description of this collection in the Library's online catalog.

Contributors

Blanchard, William, 1928-2008
Boy Scouts of America
B’nai B’rith Women. Balfour Chapter (Buffalo, N.Y.)
B’nai B’rith Women. Boruch Chapter (Buffalo, N.Y.)
B’nai B’rith Women. Montefiore Chapter (Buffalo N.Y.)
B’nai B’rith Women. Grand Lodge #1. (New York City, N.Y.)
Jewish Buffalo Archives Project

Subjects

B'nai B'rith Women
Blanchard, Annette--Archives
Blanchard, William, 1928-2008--Archives
Jews--New York (State)--Buffalo Region--Archives
Jews--New York (State)--Buffalo Region--Social life and customs

Genres

Banners
Black-and-white photographs
Charters
Clippings (information artifacts)
Fliers (printed matter)
Pamphlets

Associated Material

Related Resources

Related Resources in the University Archives

MS 206 , American Jewish Committee Buffalo/Niagara Chapter, 1977-2008 (bulk 1985-2007)
MS 203 , Bureau of Jewish Education of Greater Buffalo, 1933-2009
MS 200.05 , Congregation Ahavath Sholem (Lovers of Peace) [Jefferson (Ave) Shul] Records, 1921-2012 (bulk 1921-1961, 1990-2012)
MS 9 , David Diamond Papers, 1925-1998
MS 200.16 , Ethel Roblin Melzer Papers, 1932-2012 (bulk 1974-2012)
MS 200.26 , Frank E. Freedman Papers, 1896-1970 (bulk 1927-1969)
MS 150.1 , Jewish Archives of Greater Buffalo, Records of the Jewish Federation of Greater Buffalo, 1902-1979
MS 150.2 , Jewish Archives of Greater Buffalo, Selig Adler Papers, 1932-1988
MS 150.3 , Jewish Archives of Greater Buffalo, Local Jewish Community Records, 1844-1976
MS 150.4 , Jewish Archives of Greater Buffalo, Papers of Prominent Local Jews, 1912-1988
MS 150.5 , Jewish Archives of Greater Buffalo, Synagogue Records, 1884-1986
MS 204 , Jewish Community Center of Greater Buffalo and Summer Camps Records, 1915-2009
MS 225 , Jewish Federation of Greater Buffalo, circa 1970-2009
MS 202 , Jewish Federation of Niagara Falls, circa 1930-2001 (bulk 1935-1994)
MS 106 , Joseph Manch Papers, 1922-1988
MS 209 , Kadimah School of Buffalo, 1958-2009
MS 200.15 Ohr Temimim and Jewish Heritage Day School Papers, 1998-2009
MS 149 , Rabbi Isaac Klein Papers, 1925-1979
MS 200.17 , Samuel M. Golden Collection, 1930s-2001 (bulk 19502-1960s)
22/6F/204 , Selig Adler Papers, Part I, 1909-1984
22/6F/358 , Selig Adler Papers, Part II, 1928-1985
MS 201 , Westwood Country Club Records, 1945-1995
Adler, Selig and Thomas E. Connelly. From Ararat to Suburbia: The History of the Jewish Community of Buffalo. Philadelphia, Jewish Publication Society of America, 1960. Available in Lockwood Library and the University Archives (non-circulating), F129 B8 A38
Archives 9/7/00-3, Jewish Life (Buffalo, N.Y.), University Archives Periodical Collection
Milton Plesur Papers, 1947-1982, 22/6F/614, for a draft of a festschrift in honor of Selig Adler.

Related Online Resources

Jewish Buffalo Image Collection , New York Heritage Digital Collections

Related Resources in Other Repositories

David Diamond Collection, P-59 , American Jewish Historical Society Archives