ublogo print

University at Buffalo Libraries

Archival & Manuscript Collections

Return to Search Results | Citation | Print View

Finding Aid for the Congregation Ahavath Sholem (Lovers of Peace) [Jefferson (Ave) Shul] Records, 1921-2012 (bulk 1921-1961, 1990-2012)

MS 200.5

State University of New York at Buffalo. University Archives

420 Capen Hall
Buffalo, NY 14260
United States
Phone: 716-645-2916
Fax: 716-645-3714
Email: lib-archives@buffalo.edu
URI: http://library.buffalo.edu/archives/

Finding aid prepared by Chana Revell Kotzin.
Finding aid encoded in EAD by Karen Spencer, September, 2012.
Finding aid written in English.
Finding aid prepared using local best practices.

The arrangement and description of the records of the Congregation Ahavath Sholem (Lovers of Peace) [Jefferson (Ave) Shul] were made possible by funding obtained through the Foundation for Jewish Philanthropies, and the Bureau of Jewish Education.

Please use the following URL when citing this document:

© 2012. State University of New York at Buffalo. All rights reserved.

Collection Overview

Title: Congregation Ahavath Sholem (Lovers of Peace) [Jefferson (Ave) Shul] Records, 1921-2012 (bulk 1921-1961, 1990-2012)
Creator: Congregation Ahavath Sholem (Buffalo, N.Y.)
Extent: .2 linear feet (1 half manuscript box)
Language of Material: Collection material in English and Yiddish .
Repository: State University of New York at Buffalo. University Archives
Abstract: Collection includes a minute book, ephemera, and material relating to the religious and administrative and cultural activities of the synagogue also known as the Jefferson Shul. Materials relating to preservation campaigns includes clippings and reports.

Administrative Information

Preferred Citation

[Description and dates], Box/folder number, MS 200.5, Congregation Ahavath Sholem (Lovers of Peace) [Jefferson (Ave) Shul] Records, 1921-2012 (bulk 1921-1961, 1990-2012), University Archives, State University of New York at Buffalo.

See the Special Collections' preferred citations instructions for additional information.

Acquisition Information

Synagogue materials that were created while the Congregation was still active were donated by Lawrence Macks in 2012. Lawrence Macks is the long-time treasurer of the Ahavath Sholem Cemetery Association. His father was a former leader at the synagogue. Other materials donated by Mr. Macks include materials connected to the life of the building after it ceased to be a synagogue. An additional accrual in August 2012 by Chana Kotzin includes clippings and blog posts relating to a ground-roots efforts to preserve the building, as well as compiled and authored materials as part of general research for East Buffalo Jewish life. The arranged and described collection was deposited at the University Archives, Special Collections, by the Jewish Buffalo Archives Project in August 2012. The Jewish Buffalo Archives Project was founded in late 2007 under the auspices of the Bureau of Jewish Education of Greater Buffalo with a seed grant from the Foundation for Jewish Philanthropies. The Archives Project collects mainly 20th century documentation relating to the diverse histories, religious traditions and cultures of Jewish communities within the Greater Buffalo area of Western New York, encompassing the geographic areas of Erie and Niagara Counties and partners with the University Archives at the University at Buffalo to make these records accessible.

Terms of Access

The Congregation Ahavath Sholem (Lovers of Peace) [Jefferson (Ave) Shul] Records, 1921-2012 (bulk 1921-1961, 1990-2012) are open for research.


Copyright of papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and the University Archives before publishing quotations from materials in th collection. Most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.

Processing Information

Processed by Chana Revell Kotzin, August 2012.

Accruals and Additions

Accruals are expected to this collection.

Historical Note

The former Congregation Ahavath Sholem also known as Jefferson Avenue Shul or the Jefferson Shul was founded in 1890. According to Buffalo Jewish historian, Selig Adler, it was officially incorporated two years later as “Ahavas Sholem” on March 21, 1892. (Adler, Selig and Thomas E. Connelly. From Ararat to Suburbia: The History of the Jewish Community of Buffalo, Philadelphia, Jewish Publication Society of America, 1960, pp.196-197). It is likely that the first members met in private homes and rented rooms, but this specific information is not available. The synagogue was Orthodox in religious practice and members were new immigrants from Russia, Eastern Europe. By 1897 the Jefferson Shul was home to the Talmud Torah – Buffalo’s first city wide supplementary Hebrew and Religious School. In 1903, a $28,000 dollar building was erected by the congregation at 407 Jefferson Ave (sometimes listed as 411) on the existing Ahavath Sholem site. This building has since become a local iconic landmark because of its Moorish revival “onion” shaped dome. The active life of the synagogue continued through to 1954 based on the minute book entries included in this collection. In 1957, however, after the synagogue had lain moribund for three years, it was reopened for a visit by the Lord Mayor of Dublin, Robert Briscoe, an orthodox Jew who was on a tour of the United States (Buffalo Jewish Review, March 22, 1957, p.1). By 1960, the building was no longer a synagogue and was the spiritual home of Saints Home Church of God. In 1982, the church changed hands again, becoming Greater New Hope Church of God in Christ, and the buildings current owner.

The Ahavath Sholem building was the largest synagogue building built in East Buffalo. It had three levels. There was a separate “ladies balcony” following orthodox practice to separate men’s and women’s worship areas, as well as a lower level for study. The building is unique among synagogues in Buffalo and strikingly designed with a metal onion dome. The front of the building was completed with honey yellow colored bricks. A line of three magen david, (Stars of David) ran from the top of the entranceway doors, to the large stained glass window in the front of the building. (These decorative glass windows were removed when it became a church in 1960). The building was topped with decorative brickwork and a set of four intricate finials sat on the topmost corners. Inside the building was a bimah (altar) that held the torah scrolls in an ornate ark. Remnants of the bimah can still be seen inside the former synagogue, however, the aron kodesh was bricked up. A special set of stairs from the basement to the bimah enabled the Rabbi and Cantor to make their entrance without walking through the congregation. The women’s balcony was shaped in a horseshoe below a decorated ceiling that included a stenciled pattern. The back of the building may date from the mid nineteenth century and have been a former church. Photographs of the synagogue exterior when it functioned as a synagogue, are rare, except for a low quality reproduction in Oscar Israelowitz, Synagogues of the United States: A Photographic and Architectural Survey, Israelowitz Publishing, NY, 1992, on page 69. An interior photograph in a clipping from the Buffalo News at Buffalo Central library provides a glimpse of the bimah (Buffalo News, April 18, 1931).

From this same clipping we learn that the synagogue was the largest synagogue on the east side. Ahavath Sholem was located in the center of the east side of Buffalo, a few buildings away from William Street which was the main artery of Jewish life in Buffalo for decades. It was here on the East Side that over two-thirds of the Jewish population lived at the turn of the last century, and it was the place where many of today’s Jewish families can recall their own relatives’ early beginnings. While nearby William Street was the mercantile hub of the East Side Jewish community, Jefferson Avenue was the central religious and cultural heart. Across the road from Ahavath Sholem, stood the JCB or Jewish Community Building (a forerunner to the Jewish Community Centers). The Jefferson Avenue Shul was used as a meeting area for other community events that were too large for the JCB, as well as a temporary home for a community-wide supplementary religious school. Other synagogues stood nearby, all of which have since been razed.

Ahavath Sholem had a basement that it used as a Hebrew School. This was unusual for an East Buffalo Congregation and reflected a level of wealth that enabled them to build such a large multilevel congregational building. Popular memory recalls Ahavath Sholem as the “stylish shul” on the East Side. Leaders of the synagogue would appear in cutaway coats and silk hats on Shabbat and festivals, and at one time, the congregation was said to have over 700 worshipers on the High Holidays. (Buffalo News, dated April 18, 1931). In the 1930s, Cantor Hyman Schulsinger was employed as a Cantor leader and the community underwent a small renaissance. When he left in 1940, however, the Congregation did not find a replacement.

Spellings and names of the congregation vary. Throughout the 1920s-1960s documents included in this collection, it is referred to as Ahavath Sholem, but it is also commonly known by the Ashkenazi spelling: Ahavas Sholem, as well as English names in clippings: the Jefferson Street Shul, the Jefferson Avenue Shul and the Jefferson Shul. At the time of its building in 1903, the road was a “Street” and only later became an “Avenue” and this would account for the various names. In writing a short piece about the congregation’s history, Selig Adler had access to the early minutes of the synagogue, now lodged at the American Jewish Archives, Cincinnati (Congregation Ahavas Sholem (Buffalo, N.Y.). Minute book, October 6, 1895-January 29, 1905. 400 p. SC-1478 Minute book of Ahavas Sholem Synagogue donated by Eli Roth in 1960.

As of 2011, the building was threatened with an emergency demolition order after being abandoned by the former owners Greater New Hope Church of God in Christ. The demolition was temporarily suspended when a local coalition of community preservationists, spearheaded by David Torke, galvanized support for a plan to rehabilitate and reuse the building. A future adaptive reuse is still at the planning stage as of August 2012. This new volunteer preservation group is not the first interest group formed to save the building. In 1997, the former temple was given local landmark status and a preservation plan was drawn up. Later in 2003, the building received a $10,000 grant from the New York Landmarks Conservancy Sacred Sites program to repair the roof. Neither of these earlier efforts was sustained long enough for a complete repair and restoration.

Scope and Content Note

The Ahavath Sholem records describe the governance and activities of the synagogue between 1921 and 1961, as well as local efforts to save the building from 2011-2012, still ongoing at the time of processing. See also MS 150.3 , Box 2 Folder 18.

Container List

Box-folder Contents
1.1 Congregation Ahavath Sholem Minute Book, March 6, 1921 – March 7, 1954
1.2 Congregation Ahavath Sholem ephemera found in Minute Book, 1937-1961
1.3 Congregation Ahavath Sholem, Flyer, in Yiddish and English, 1940
Box-folder Contents
1.4 Clippings and reports relating to former Congregation Ahavath Sholem, 1990s-2000s
1.5 Local Landmark designation application, 1997
1.6 Celebrations regarding designation, 1997

Includes speech by Lawrence Macks.

Box-folder Contents
1.7 Ahavath Sholem research compilation, 2012

Includes newspaper clippings.

1.8 Article by Chana Revell Kotzin on Ahavath Sholem, 2012
Box-folder Contents
1.9 Public Blog posts created by David Torke. 2012

Includes printouts from online blog posts.

Search Terms

The following terms have been used to index the description of this collection in the Library's online catalog.


Jewish Buffalo Archives Project
Kotzin, Chana Revell
Macks, Lawrence
State University at Buffalo. University Archives
Torke, David


Buffalo (N.Y.)--Religious life and customs
Congregation Ahavath Sholem (Buffalo, N.Y.)--Archives
Jewish archives--New York (State)--Buffalo (N.Y.)
Jews--New York (State)--Buffalo (N.Y.)--Archives
State University of New York at Buffalo--Archives
Synagogues--New York (State)--Buffalo (N.Y.)


Fliers (printed matter)

Associated Material

Related Resources

Related Resources in the University Archives

MS 206 , American Jewish Committee Buffalo/Niagara Chapter, 1977-2008 (bulk 1985-2007)
MS 200.11 , Annette Blanchard Papers, 1951-1978
MS 200.23 , Buffalo Ritualarium (Mikvah of Buffalo), 1998-2012 (bulk 1998)
MS 203 , Bureau of Jewish Education of Greater Buffalo, 1933-2009
MS 200.22 , Chabad of Buffalo and Torah Teminah School Papers, 1971-1994
MS 9 , David Diamond Papers, 1925-1998
MS 200.16 , Ethel Roblin Melzer Papers, 1932-2012 (bulk 1974-2012)
MS 200.26 , Frank E. Freedman Papers, 1896-1970 (bulk 1927-1969)
MS 150.1 , Jewish Archives of Greater Buffalo, Records of the Jewish Federation of Greater Buffalo, 1902-1979
MS 150.2 , Jewish Archives of Greater Buffalo, Selig Adler Papers, 1932-1988
MS 150.3 , Jewish Archives of Greater Buffalo, Local Jewish Community Records, 1844-1976
MS 150.4 , Jewish Archives of Greater Buffalo, Papers of Prominent Local Jews, 1912-1988
MS 150.5 , Jewish Archives of Greater Buffalo, Synagogue Records, 1884-1986
MS 204 , Jewish Community Center of Greater Buffalo and Summer Camps Records, 1915-2009
MS 225 , Jewish Federation of Greater Buffalo, circa 1970-2009
MS 202 , Jewish Federation of Niagara Falls, circa 1930-2001 (bulk 1935-1994)
MS 106 , Joseph Manch Papers, 1922-1988
MS 209 , Kadimah School of Buffalo, 1958-2009
MS 200.27 , Mordecai Noah Historical Marker Collection, 1960-2013 (bulk 2010-2013
MS 200.15 , Ohr Temimim and Jewish Heritage Day School Papers, 1998-2009
MS 149 , Rabbi Isaac Klein Papers, 1925-1979
MS 200.17 , Samuel M. Golden Collection, 1930s-2001 (bulk1950s-1960s)
22/6F/204 , Selig Adler Papers, Part I, 1909-1984
22/6F/358 , Selig Adler Papers, Part II, 1928-1985
MS 201 , Westwood Country Club Records, 1945-1995
Adler, Selig and Thomas E. Connelly. From Ararat to Suburbia: The History of the Jewish Community of Buffalo. Philadelphia, Jewish Publication Society of America, 1960. Available in Lockwood Library and the University Archives (non-circulating), F129 B8 A38
Archives 9/7/00-3, Jewish Life (Buffalo, N.Y.), University Archives Periodical Collection
Milton Plesur Papers, 1947-1982, 22/6F/614, for a draft of a festschrift in honor of Selig Adler.

Related Online Resources

Jewish Buffalo Image Collection , New York Heritage Digital Collections

Related Resources in Other Repositories

David Diamond Collection, P-59 , American Jewish Historical Society Archives